Thursday, August 30, 2007

Other people's take on MMP

Well, I'm going through my own take on items such as lists, lists again, and minorities, so I thought I'd post up a link to some other people's opinions, and specifically, a small debate over at The Great Canadian Debate, about MMP. Many arguments are quite similar to what I've been putting forward so far.

Also, Greg Morrow has a good run-down of what he would like to see in how lists should be created. Not sure if it will be done that way, but it's something to consider. And again, it seems with just about every point that I see so far, I see some good and some bad with it. I may spend a post sometime going through some ways that we could pick the lists, and see which of them I feel would work best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No need to reinvent the wheel. If you look at what is done in New Zealand, it's exactly as I've described at DemocraticSPACE. Instead of local nominations, you have regional nominations. The only question is how big the regions are. The NDP already splits up the province into 6 regions for internal elections, for example. Other parties might want smaller regions. Whether it be a party's membership nominating one candidate locally or several candidates regionally, they are both democratically nominated -- there really is no difference.