Friday, September 28, 2007

My Take on MMP: My take

Well, I've gone through some points I find big, and overall, I'm still a bit torn on MMP. I do like some forms of reform, and I do believe there are better systems out there than MMP, but I'm still not sure that MMP is one of them.

If we were voting on STV or just some other different way to elect people, then I think I would vote for it, since I like most of them better. They would be relatively small changes, and would have an effect on who was elected, but would still be considered a somewhat minor change.

And I still maintain that I think the best system would be a parallel system, since that brings in an element of proportionality, but still maintaining possible majorities, since I am not a firm believer in coalitions with our current system.

But, we're not voting on those systems. I don't really like some of the anti-MMP people trying to convince people that since MMP isn't the best, we should vote against it. However, I also don't like some of the pro-MMP talk of, "At least it's a step in the right direction", since I know we won't really revisit this until at least after one election of it, and probably not until 2-3 elections down the road, which could be 10 years or more from now.

So, I'm left with my decision. I'm pretty sure that the proposal will fail on at least one of the 2 things it needs to pass, so I'm not overly worried about it. For that sense, I am leaning towards casting my ballot in favour of it, since then at least I can vote for a step towards a better system, without actually having to go through the actual system which I don't like too much. But I don't think there's enough for me in it to actually want it to pass.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a few comments
1. STV and MMP will have the same seat distribution...for the most part...though STV will take days if not weeks to determine the winner
2. stv is what was put forward in BC...and game VERY close to getting what it needed...i believe they have another vote coming up
3. answer a few questions for me
i heard 29 list seats...is that correct? how many district seats?
and what is the threshold it needs to pass?

-worm

Anonymous said...

also...if the vote was SMP vs some form of PR (to be determined later)

I personally think that if BC would have had MMP instead of STV...it would have passed.... STV is the most confusing and complicated form of PR

UWHabs said...

STV wouldn't take that long to figure out a winner. It would take a bit longer to count, but you plug it into a computer and it would get you the results. The only big difference is that you won't be able to get accurate "running totals" on election night.

And they would be going from 107 seats now to 90 district seats and 39 list seats.

And for passing it needs 60% of the vote, and at least 50% in 2/3 of the ridings.

Anonymous said...

ya... i exagerated the STV time...but those forumlas confuse me..hehe...
i think the 60 percent is what was needed in BC too...they only came a few percent short... with STV... so dont be suprised if it is close to that in Ontario