Saturday, September 30, 2006

UW Young Liberals

Well, I may not be the most perfectly sober person at the moment, but after a long, hard night as a scrutineer, let me say we needed a drink after it was all done.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone at the University of Waterloo who came out, and especially those who came out to vote Kennedy. We had a great showing, with 28 of the 59 ballots for us (vs. 14 for Martha, 9 for Iggy, 3 for Dion, 2 for Dryden, 2 for Rae, and 1 for Hedy Fry!), giving the UW Young Liberals 2 Kennedy delegate spots! I was very proud of our club tonight, for at least most of the evening. I will be one of the representatives for Gerard, and we have one that the campaign will have to fill (since I was the only one who made it onto the ballot for Gerard), and I am proud to be heading off to the convention with Andres Fuentes Martinez (our club president and an Iggy supporter, although a nice one who actually let me sit down with him and the membership list and let our clubs share secrets), and Abira Balendram, who I am sure will represent Martha with pride.

Our meeting was heald concurrently with the Laurier Young Liberals, and unfortunately Kennedy didn't do as well, but still picked up one of the 4 delegate spots there.

As for the overall numbers, I think it might be a little disappointing for Kennedy, but I will have to tackle my views on that at a time when I am in a slightly better state to guage. I think it's still early, and the very strong showing in Alberta that I see for Kennedy is very impressive.

Also, on a final note, our club did have probably one of the most exciting DEMs of the weekend. Sure, we have had had times when we didn't have anyone show up for either club in a half hour timeframe, but how many clubs had to call the cops in to sort out the affair? I won't elaborate publicly on details, but suffice it to say it turned into a very interesting evening on the UW campus.

No comments: